Procedure of buying property in Spain
Here is an easy-to-follow guide for property buyers in Marbella and the Costa del Sol. The procedure of buying a property in Spain is straightforward and comprises the following steps:
- Firstly, one of our specialist agents will assist you to find the property you want to buy. Once we have established you wish to proceed with this property purchase, you will be asked to sign an Intent to Purchase contract and deposit a payment of €6,000 with your lawyer or in our client escrow account. This Intent to Purchase Contract will set a timeframe for the property transaction and the property will be taken off the market, so that you have absolute peace of mind.
- We will then put forward the offer and will negotiate directly with the vendor on your behalf to obtain the minimum possible price. There may be counter offers from the vendor but we will work to agree the best price for you.
- If you require finance for part of the property purchase, your agent can refer mortgage brokers to compare lending conditions from different banks. Foreign exchange bureaus can help you to save on currency exchange when required, your agent at Discount Property Center Marbella will be happy to advise independent specialized companies.
- The legal process then commences and the lawyer will undertake the due diligence on the property. If your lawyer finds legal problems with your property the €6,000 deposit is 100% refundable.
- Approximately two or three weeks after the initial reservation and after your lawyer has completed the legal searches you will have to sign the Private Purchase Contract and pay the full deposit of 10% (less €6,000 already paid). The buyer will lose his deposit if he changes his mind, (and the vendor must pay back double the deposit amount if he decides not to sell at this stage). The buyer and the vendor will agree the date for final completion by a public notary.
- Approximately three to four weeks after signing the Private Purchase Contract, completion will take place, when the balance of the purchase monies, plus any taxes and costs, will be paid.
- The most important stage! – collect the keys to your property and start enjoying your new dream home in the sun!