The buying process in la Costa del Sol
Procedure of buying property in Spain
Here is an easy-to-follow guide for property buyers in Marbella and the Costa del Sol. The procedure of buying a property in Spain is straightforward and comprises the following steps:
- Firstly, one of our specialist agents will assist you to find the property you want to buy. Once we have established you wish to proceed with this property purchase, you will be asked to sign an Intent to Purchase contract and deposit a payment of €6,000 with your lawyer or in our client escrow account. This Intent to Purchase Contract will set a timeframe for the property transaction and the property will be taken off the market, so that you have absolute peace of mind.
- We will then put forward the offer and will negotiate directly with the vendor on your behalf to obtain the minimum possible price. There may be counter offers from the vendor but we will work to agree the best price for you.
- If you require finance for part of the property purchase, your agent can refer mortgage brokers to compare lending conditions from different banks. Foreign exchange bureaus can help you to save on currency exchange when required, your agent at Discount Property Center Marbella will be happy to advise independent specialized companies.
- The legal process then commences and the lawyer will undertake the due diligence on the property. If your lawyer finds legal problems with your property the €6,000 deposit is 100% refundable.
- Approximately two or three weeks after the initial reservation and after your lawyer has completed the legal searches you will have to sign the Private Purchase Contract and pay the full deposit of 10% (less €6,000 already paid). The buyer will lose his deposit if he changes his mind, (and the vendor must pay back double the deposit amount if he decides not to sell at this stage). The buyer and the vendor will agree the date for final completion by a public notary.
- Approximately three to four weeks after signing the Private Purchase Contract, completion will take place, when the balance of the purchase monies, plus any taxes and costs, will be paid.
- The most important stage! – collect the keys to your property and start enjoying your new dream home in the sun!
Taxes & fees when buying in Spain
A Guide to Taxes and Fees when Purchasing a Property in Spain:
- VAT (IVA) on new properties (10%) or Transfer Tax on resale properties are on a sliding scale:· (8% for €400,000 or less, 9% on any part between €400,00 and €700,000 and 10% on any part over €700,000)
- Stamp duty, only for new properties (1.5%)
- Notary and Land registry fees (1%)
- Lawyer (1%)
- Mortgage commissions (1%-3%), in the case that a buyer is getting finance through a bank
Yearly taxes & fees for owning a property in Spain
Yearly Taxes and Fees for owning a property in Spain are very low (compared with the rest of Europe):
- Municipal Real Estate Tax (IBI-impuesto sobre bienes inmuebles), our real estate agent can inform you for your chosen property. This varies with each property , and it is paid on a yearly basis.
- Rubbish Collection Fee. Depends on the area the property is located, and normally is a yearly tax.
- Community Fees, in the case the property is part of an apartment complex or urbanization (covers cleaning and maintenance of common areas and swimming pools).This is paid monthly.
- Water, Electricity, Gas, Telephone and Internet Fees have to be paid by user. Monthly or every 2 months.
- Your appointed lawyer in Spain will help you to set up all this payments under your name , once you own the property.
- Our knowledgeable estate agent can give you exact amounts for any property you like!
For further assistance on buying a property in Spain please contact us directly on :